Friday, March 12, 2010

Happy 1 Week Birthday, Eva!

Our little girl is here! And she is beautiful in every way! This first week has been a transition, but we are all loving it. It has been wonderful having Pumpkin home and I was sorry to see him go back to work today. He has been absolutely amazing! I have a complete new respect for all the single moms out there, the love and support I have from my husband is completely amazing!

In pre-op, we asked Dr. Tudder how much he thought Eva weighed, especially because of the ultrasound saying 10 pounds. He guessed 8lbs, 12 oz...and she was 8 lbs, 11 oz! Now that is some experience! The c-section went well. Miss Evie was born at 9:26am on Friday, March 5, 2010. She weighed 8lbs, 11oz, and was 20 1/2 inches long. She has dark blue eyes and her daddy's red hair.

We had a lot of difficulty with the pain meds. The spinal block started wearing off while they were stitching me up and then the epidural wasn't working properly. So they gave me morphine through my iv. It was pretty intense stuff and I started to have an allergic reaction to it. So they finally gave me percocet. It worked amazingly well, however Pumpkin has some great stories to tell about things I talked about while on it. I am still taking it during the day, but a smaller dose and only when the pain gets bad.

We had AMAZING nurses- I made a lot of friends while in the hospital. We also met Evie's pediatrician. She's really great and we were able to see her at the follow appointment on Wednesday. We will be going to South Riding Pediatrics, which is about 10 minutes from our house. The hours are great and they see the babies in the morning before all the older kids after lunch. Her next appointment is her two week appointment. We will be seeing a different doctor because her regular pediatrician is on vacation that week.

We were discharged from the hospital Monday after seeing Dr. Tudder. I have a follow up in two weeks with him and then again in six weeks. He's such a wonderful guy and I'm really going to miss him...until the next time we decide to have another baby. :) He talked to us during the whole c-section and was great about checking in on me later on.

Our first night went amazingly well. I got about 5 1/2 hours of sleep, not in a row, of course. :) Pumpkin got about 7, I think and I've been amazed at the amount of noise he can sleep through now. :) So far I have ended up on the couch with Evie. Not only because she sleeps better, but because I have an easier time getting out of the couch than out of bed. The incision is still pretty painful, mainly whenever I push myself too hard. It's been great having my mom and MJ close by to help out. And after today, I'm confident that I can do this even by myself! :) Mom has been here today helping me get the wash done and taking the kitchen and living room from disaster area to clean.

Tomorrow Mary will be taking our first family portraits. I can't wait...hopefully she can rid me of the double chin that I am still getting rid of. Evie is going to look adorable! We are hoping to use these for Eva's birth announcements, so hopefully Evie will cooperate and just look cute.

Pumpkin is home for the weekend! It has taken me all day to finish this section. Hopefully I can do weekly updates now. I don't think daily is going to happen anymore. :) Until next time...